I took this picture today on a beautiful peaceful day. Everyone had a good night sleep and awoke around sunrise (not 4AM like the prior morning). Everyone was content and peaceful. There was laughter and play and rest as well as helpful cooperation with daily routine and a few spring cleaning activities.
I am not sure what it is about Saturdays -- the end of a long week, less structure, everyone wanting to get in a special activity or gaol in for the weekend. But Saturdays around our house might be worse than Monday mornings!
Saturday is an out of sorts day. There is never as much time in the day for Matt or I to accomplish anything we might want to do. The kids seem to be tired, want more TV but are restless and not attentive. Everyone seems to be pointing inward and not unified.
Sundays, the routine of going to church or Sunday school actually seems to give the kids more peace. Abigail always gladly shares her candy from Sunday school. She asks me to say a prayer to help me not feel that the speed bumps are stupid and to help me not feel the need to call anything stupid. She tells Jesus she is thankful for her family (You know those mean parents and bothersome brother that did not let her go to Saturday"s princess birthday since she was decidedly not following any golden rules of decorum.) John is usually more at ease too -- he usually sleeps in (i.e. not waking at 4AM) on Sundays. Matt and I are so thankful for rest and one more day do-over that we are are more adaptable and agreeable to. Today we even went to Fancy school. Our teacher, Miss Abigail, taught us how to cut, write and color fancy. Playing light sabers at 6:30 in the morning is infinitely more enjoyable with the sunrise than the cold darkness of 4 AM. We even cheerfully watched the Sarlac pit scene from Return of the Jedi for the 152nd time.
I have tried a few things recently to turn around Saturdays. Fridays, I spend the mornings and early afternoon with John. While he takes a nap, I have someone sit with him and Abigail and I play and stay at school, go to swimming lessons and have special Mom and me trips like painting pottery or craft shopping. That doesn't seem to spread to Saturday blues. I tried scheduling a routine class activity (gymnastics) on Saturday -- total failure and Abigail and John are not disinterested in gymnastics. A puppy dog birthday party did not lick and hug the blues out of Abi this Saturday. I have not come up with a new years resolution yet and this might be it -- get the funk out of Saturdays. Next week trials -- earlier bed for Fridays and a pajama do nothing Saturday morning with limited TV. If that doesn't work we will try pillow fight Friday nights and water balloon Saturday mornings.
No comments:
Post a Comment